Oklahoma City Housing Authority Provides Data Breach Notice

OKLAHOMA CITY, July 22, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The Oklahoma City Housing Authority (“OCHA”) is notifying individuals of the data incident. To date, we have no evidence of misuse or attempted misuse of information as a result of this incident. This notice provides details about the incident, our response, and the resources available to help protect the information.

What happened? On December 21, 2021, OCHA discovered that unauthorized emails had been sent from an OCHA email account. We quickly launched an investigation with the help of third-party forensic specialists to determine what may have happened. During the investigation, we could not rule out the possibility that an unauthorized actor accessed OCHA email accounts between November 30, 2021 and December 21, 2021. Therefore, it is possible that the unauthorized actor has accessed some files. We reviewed these files to determine what sensitive information, if any, was contained therein. This review was completed on June 7, 2022. Subsequently, we endeavored to locate the contact details of the persons concerned in order to inform them of this event, which ended on June 16, 2022.

What information was involved? The information involved varies by individual, but may include name, social security number, driver’s license or government identification, financial account information, and medical or health information.

What we do. As part of our ongoing commitment to the confidentiality of information entrusted to us, we have reviewed our existing systems and policies and implemented additional safeguards to further secure the information in our systems. We offer 12-24 months of free access to identity monitoring services through Experian. Individuals wishing to receive these services should register by following the registration instructions in the attached Measures You Can Follow to Protect Personal Information.

What you can do. We encourage you to remain vigilant against incidents of identity theft and fraud by reviewing your account statements and monitoring your free credit reports for suspicious activity and detecting errors. You can also sign up for free identity monitoring services that we make available to you. Registration instructions are attached to this letter.

For more information.
If you have any questions regarding this notice, please call our dedicated helpline at (833) 468-0631, Monday through Friday, 6:00 am8:00 PM PSTand Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding major public holidays).

Monitor your accounts

Under US law, a consumer is entitled to one free credit report per year from each of the three major credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll free 1-877-322-8228. You can also contact the three major credit bureaus listed below directly to request a free copy of your credit report.

Consumers have the right to place an initial or extended “fraud alert” on a credit report at no charge. An initial fraud alert is a one-year alert that is placed on a consumer’s credit file. Upon seeing a fraud alert appear on a consumer’s credit report, a business is required to take steps to verify the consumer’s identity before extending new credit. If you are a victim of identity theft, you are eligible for an Extended Fraud Alert, which is a seven-year fraud alert. If you would like to place a fraud alert, please contact one of the three major credit bureaus listed below.

As an alternative to a fraud alert, consumers have the right to place a “credit freeze” on a credit report, which will prevent a credit bureau from releasing information in the credit report without the express permission of the consumer. The credit freeze is designed to prevent credit, loans and services from being approved in your name without your consent. However, you should be aware that using a credit freeze to control who has access to personal and financial information in your credit file may delay, interfere with, or prohibit the timely approval of any subsequent application or application that you make regarding a new loan, credit, mortgage or any other account involving the granting of credit. Under federal law, you cannot be charged with placing or lifting a credit freeze on your credit report. To request a credit freeze, you will need to provide the following information:

  1. Full name (including middle initial as well as Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.);
  2. Social Security number;
  3. Date of Birth;
  4. Addresses for the previous two to five years;
  5. Current proof of address, such as a current utility bill or phone bill;
  6. A legible photocopy of a government-issued identification card (state driver’s license or ID card, etc.); and
  7. A copy of the police report, investigation report, or complaint to law enforcement regarding identity theft if you are a victim of identity theft.

If you wish to freeze your credit, please contact the three major credit bureaus listed below:



Trans Union







Equifax Fraud Alert, PO Box 105069 Atlanta, GA 30348-5069

Experian Fraud Alert, PO Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion Fraud Alert, PO Box 2000, Chester, PA 19016

Equifax Credit Freeze, PO Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348-5788

Experian Credit Freeze, PO Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion Credit Freeze, PO Box 160, Woodlyn, PA 19094

Further information

You can learn more about identity theft, fraud alerts, credit freezes, and steps you can take to protect your personal information by contacting consumer reporting bureaus, the Federal Trade Commission, or the your state’s attorney general. The Federal Trade Commission can be contacted at: 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, washington d.c. 20580; www.identitytheft.gov; 1-877-ID-VOL (1-877-438-4338); and TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The Federal Trade Commission also encourages those who discover that their information has been misused to file a complaint with them. You can obtain further information on how to make such a complaint using the contact details set out above. You have the right to file a police report if you are the victim of identity theft or fraud. Please note that in order to file a complaint with law enforcement for identity theft, you will likely need to provide proof that you have been a victim. Known or suspected cases of identity theft should also be reported to law enforcement and your state’s attorney general. This notice was not delayed by law enforcement.

For District of Colombia residentsthe District of Colombia The Attorney General can be contacted at: 400 6th Street, NW, washington d.c. 20001; 202-727-3400; and [email protected].

For Maryland residentsthe Maryland The Attorney General can be contacted at: 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; 1-410-528-8662 or 1-888-743-0023; and www.oag.state.md.us. Southern Ohio Medical Center is located at 1805 27e Street, Portsmouth, Ohio 45662.

For New Mexico residents, you have rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, such as the right to be told if information in your credit report has been used against you, the right to know what is in your credit report , the right to request your credit score, and the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. In addition, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, consumer reporting bureaus must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information; consumer reporting agencies cannot report outdated negative information; access to your file is limited; you must give consent for credit reports to be provided to employers; you can limit the “pre-screened” credit and insurance offers you get based on the information in your credit report; and you can claim damages from the offender. You may have additional rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act which are not summarized here. Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have specific additional rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. We encourage you to review your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act by visiting https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/bcfp_consumer-rights-summary_2018-09.pdf, or by writing to the Consumer Response Center, Room 130 – A, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, washington d.c. 20580.

For New York residents, the New York The Attorney General can be contacted at: Office of the Attorney General, The Capitol, Albany, NY 12224-0341; 1-800-771-7755; or https://ag.ny.gov/.

For North Carolina residentsthe North Carolina The Attorney General can be contacted at: 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-9001; 1-877-566-7226 or 1-919-716-6000; and www.ncdoj.gov.

For Rhode Island residentsthe Rhode Island The Attorney General can be reached at: 150 South Main Street, Providence, RI 02903; www.riag.ri.gov; and 1-401-274-4400. Under Rhode Island law, you have the right to obtain any police report filed regarding this incident.

SOURCE Oklahoma City Housing Authority

Comments are closed.